At the Young Vic, we are committed to ensuring that everything we do is as environmentally responsible and sustainable as possible.
We are the proud recipients of a 5 Star Creative Green accreditation from Julie’s Bicycle, and we continue to work with them and other theatres on ways to reduce our carbon footprint.
In partnership with Julie’s Bicycle, we are committed to:
- Communicate better with our audiences, artists, staff and stakeholders on our carbon footprint
- Monitor and reduce our levels of energy usage and waste creation
- Understand and act upon measures that we can take to ease this process
Measures that we have taken already include:
- Installing LED lighting in the theatre corridors
- Installing a more energy-efficient lift
- Working with ethical and environmental suppliers, from stationary to green energy, from sets to waste management
- Engaging staff in sustainable initiatives, such as our roof garden
- Continuing to reduce our waste, such as removing plastic cups from the bar during daytime hours and cutting down on printing in our offices
- Undertaking energy audits, and understanding how we use energy and water across the theatre
Sustainability is part of our Business Plan, which is reviewed regularly. Each department within the theatre has its own tailored Action Plan on how it can reduce its environmental impact, and our Sustainability Panel provides a platform for staff to discuss initiatives and share feedback.
The Cut Bar sources food and drink from local and ethical suppliers, providing fresh, seasonal food all year round , and has a full membership to the Sustainable Restaurant Association.
The Young Vic is an active and committed member of the London Theatre Consortium, where we are working to reducing our environmental impact. This includes currently developing a roadmap for 2025 in partnership with Julie’s Bicycle and Arts Council England’s Accelerator Programme. The London Theatre Consortium won the Highest Achievement for Commitment at the 2019 Creative Green Awards for its joint climate leadership over the past decade.
We encourage our audiences and staff to walk or cycle, or travel via public transport. We are well serviced by public transport links, with both Southwark (Jubilee Line) and Waterloo (Waterloo & City, Bakerloo, Northern and Jubilee Lines) just a short walk away.